State Coalition of the Year Award Criteria
Purpose: To recognize outstanding achievements at the state level over the past year, along with a commitment to collaboration and the financial literacy mission. While the award singles out one state, it draws attention to the great work of the entire network.
Eligibility: Active Jump$tart-affiliated state coalitions, except the prior year’s winner, which:
- Are stable, viable entities with their tax-exempt status in effect and their 990 filings current.
- Have a full and active board. (A limited number of vacancies is acceptable.)
- Maintain an active, accurate, current website and/or social media pages.
Entry Process: Effective 2021-22, any Jump$tart affiliated state coalition may ask to be considered for the award by completing the online application. There is no longer a nomination process for this award.
Deadline: Applications must be submitted by November 20, 2023.
More information about State Coalition of the Year
Selection: The State Coalition of the Year will be selected by a committee of Jump$tart Board and Partner representatives. Results will be announced in early 2024.
Participation: The State Coalition Leader or other representative will be invited to receive the award at the Jump$tart Coalition Awards Event in Washington, D.C. in April 2024. The representative will be invited to address guests, including leaders from the business, finance, and education communities, as well as government agencies and the media.
Previous Honorees: Wisconsin, 2005; Utah, 2006; Louisiana, 2007; Virginia, 2008; Tennessee, 2009; California, 2010; Iowa, 2011; Washington State, 2012; Colorado, 2013; Maine, 2014; Montana, 2015; Connecticut, 2016; Idaho, 2017; Washington State, 2018; New Jersey, 2019; Rhode Island, 2020-21; and Louisiana, 2022; Alabama, 2023.
The committee will consider:
- Quantitative and qualitative accomplishments in promoting the importance of financial literacy and the need for financial education.
- Demonstration of collaboration and cooperation within the coalition itself, with the national Jump$tart Coalition, and with other stakeholders.
- Quantitative and qualitative accomplishments in conducting and supporting effectiveness in financial education, especially among PreK through college-age students and especially to advance financial equity and inclusion.
- Demonstration of commitment to the unique needs of students, educators, and families in the state.
- That the state coalition is active in pursuing and fulfilling its mission.
- A history of successfully supporting financial education in their state.
Background: Jump$tart’s State Coalition of the Year Award was first suggested by Dr. Lew Mandell, one of the Jump$tart Coalitions founding board members, and was introduced in 2005. The award recognizes the significant contribution from affiliated state coalitions and is an opportunity to show our appreciation for these grassroots coalitions, which operate almost entirely with volunteers.