Experian® is the world’s leading global information services company. During life’s big moments — from buying a home or a car to sending a child to college, to growing a business by connecting with new customers — we empower consumers and our clients to manage their data with confidence. We help individuals to take financial control and access financial services, businesses to make smarter decisions and thrive, lenders to lend more responsibly, and organizations to prevent identity fraud and crime.
Last year, more than 1 million children were affected by child identity theft, according to a Javelin report. Experian is vigilant about protecting people’s identities and have recently expanded our capabilities to monitor children as well as adults with our identity protection products to address this growing issue.
In fact, we launched a free Child ID Scan, which will let parents know if there is an Experian credit file associated with their child’s social security number. The free service is available at www.experian.com/childscan.
To rally parents and communities to learn more about child identity theft and take steps to protect their children, Experian is designating September 1 as Child Identity Theft Awareness Day. We hope this day will be embraced each year as a good reminder to always stay vigilant.
Please support this day by the doing the following:
- Writing a blog post about child identity theft and stating support for Child Identity Theft Awareness Day on September 1. We can send you a special day logo you can use.
- Posting messages on your social media accounts about child ID theft and Child Identity Theft Awareness Day using the hashtag #StopChildIDTheft.
- Joining our #CreditChat on Twitter on August 29 at NOON PST/3pm EST.
- Sharing resources where parents can get help for child identity theft including directing them to the Identity Theft Resource Center at http://www.idtheftcenter.org or calling 1-888-400-5530.
- Sharing/Retweeting/Liking Experian’s social media postings throughout the week of August 27- September 1; find us at:
- Twitter: @Experian_US
- Facebook: /Experian
- Instagram: Experian
Join the @Experian #CreditChat Aug. 29 at noon PST/3 pm EST – to discuss child ID theft and how to #StopChildIDTheft