NEC 2018 Scholarship Criteria and Considerations
The objective of the Jump$tart NEC Scholarship program is to advance financial literacy by bringing PreK – 12th grade personal finance teachers to our national conference to discover information, ideas, resources and a network of fellow educators from across the country.
Scholarship applicants must be licensed PreK-12 classroom teachers:
- Based in the United States or its territories or in a school serving U.S. citizens (such as on a military base).
- Currently employed by a PreK-12 public, private, or charter school, school district or school system –or– with confirmed employment at a PreK-12 public, private, or charter school, school district or school system for the 2018-19 school year.
- With at least one full school year of teaching experience, as well as plans to teach for at least one full school year following the event.
Jump$tart and its supporters seek teachers who, through their application, can demonstrate:
- Their passion for and personal commitment to financial literacy for students.
- The impact they have had and/or expect to have among the students they teach.
- A need/desire/plan for seeking the information, ideas, resources and networking offered at the conference.
Scholarship recipients agree to:
- Arrange and/or pay for their own travel and incidental expenses. (Scholarships include two hotel nights and six conference meals.)
- Complete the online scholarship application by August 31, 2018. (Now closed.)
- If selected, register for the conference (with a refundable $100 deposit) by September 20, 2018, which indicates their acceptance of the scholarship –or– notify Jump$tart in writing of their decision to decline the scholarship by September 20, 2018 –or– contact Jump$tart directly to request additional time, if necessary.
- Attend and participate fully in the entire conference and arrange travel accordingly.
- Send a note of thanks to their scholarship provider(s).
- Jump$tart will select scholarship recipients with the goal of spreading support across the country.
- Jump$tart may select more heavily from some geographic areas and/or from some demographic categories based on preferences specified by the donors.
- Jump$tart has committed to a participation ratio of 30% regular attendees and 60% first-timers; leaving 10% as discretionary, either way.
- First-timers will be defined as never attended the conference before, or who have not attended the conference in the last two years.