Happy #FreebieFriday! Check out one of the free #finlit resources in the jumpstartclearinghouse.org ow.ly/4TpM30kv7cM from our partner American Bankers Association
The Jump$tart Coalition was founded in 1995, based on an idea credited to William E. Odom, who was, at the time, Chairman and CEO of the Ford Motor Credit Corporation. The first meeting, organized by H. Randy Lively, then President and CEO of the American Financial Services Association, was intended to “develop a strategic plan for improving the quality and extent of curriculum modules for personal finance education in the nation’s schools, grades K-12.”
Due to a family emergency, Bill Odom missed the first meeting of what was then called the “Partnership in Personal Finance and Consumer Credit Consortium,” held Dec. 1-2, 1995, in Reston, Va.; but, today, Jump$tart’s highest honor— the William E. Odom Visionary Leadership Award —bears his name. Mr. Odom remains a director emeritus of the Jump$tart National Board.
By the end of 1996, the organization had evolved into the Jump$tart Coalition for Personal Financial Literacy. The logo and tagline “Financial Smarts for Students” was created with input from a focus group of students at Bladensburg High School in Maryland.
In 1997, the Jump$tart Coalition was incorporated as an independent nonprofit organization with Randy Lively as its first president (later re-designated “chairman.”) Mr. Lively also remains a director emeritus of the Jump$tart National Board. Dara Duguay was hired that year as Jump$tart’s first executive director, outlining her vision that the coalition be inclusive, not exclusive and launching a full-scale public awareness effort. She led the organization until 2004.
Past Board Chairmen
National Endowment for Financial Education
Conference of State Bank Supervisors
H. Randy Lively, Jr.
American Financial Services Association
Initial Board Members
- American Financial Services Association Consumer Credit Education Foundation (now AFSA Education Foundation)
- Consumer Bankers Association
- Cooperative Extension System of the USDA (now USDA-NIFA, Land Grant University and Cooperative Extension System)
- Federal Reserve Board
- Insurance Education Foundation
- International Credit Association
- Junior Achievement, Inc.
- Mortgage Bankers Association of America
- National Council on Economic Education (now Council for Economic Education)
- National Endowment for Financial Education
- National Foundation for Consumer Credit
- National Institute for Consumer Education (now National Foundation for Credit Counseling)
- Securities Industry Foundation for Economic Education (now SIFMA Foundation)
- Classroom Edition of the Wall St. Journal
Links to current partners
A Look Back
Images from Jump$tart Coalition’s history.